Wednesday 13 June 2007

Anche Libera Va Bene

A while ago I saw Anche Libero Va Bene at a movie theatre in Amsterdam. I was very excited to see it that day. I especially like it when an actor directs a film and also plays in it himself. And Kim Rossi Stuart did an amazing job both in directing and acting. I guess most people here haven't heard about this film. Except maybe when you're from Italy or when you really love European cinema. But anyway, I really enjoyed this film. It's very good. The acting is awesome. I never saw Kim Stuart Rossi in a film before. It's the first time I watched a movie he's in. But he definitely wants to make me see more of his films. He played his character very well. A real strong performance which blew me away. Also both actors that played his son Tommi and daughter Viola in the film are very good, especially considering there young age. They really were like a brother and sister and acted very natural.

What is it about?

The film is about Tommi, who's about 11 years old and his older sister Viola who live with their father. Their parents are separated, cause apparently the mother likes to sleep around with other men. The father takes care of his two kids pretty well, but he still
has a hard time dealing with the fact the mother of the children left them. The father, who's name is Renato, seems like a very kind man, but so now and then he can get really angry over little things. For example when the house is a bit of a mess, he flips out and gets all angry with his kids screaming and yelling. Also in public he sometimes get angry, especially when it has to do with his job. Renato's behaviour sometimes scares Tommi a bit. Tommi wants to play football, but his father wants him to be a swimmer, cause he finds swimming a better sport than football. Swimming will make his little boy a real man. The film shows how Tommi struggles with the problems his family go through.

Final Verdict: *****

I could really relate to everything in this film. Like when Tommi was about to ask his father if he could go skiing with his friends. I could feel how afraid he was for asking,
cause you just knew his father would flip out. And there have been many moments when i was a little kid that I had to ask my parents for something which I knew would make them mad. This movie is a must-see and could definitely grow out to be a favourite of mine. I'm very glad I watched it and still after all those weeks, I think about what a nice experience it was watching this film.

No comments: