Wednesday 13 June 2007

Bin-Jip

Some weeks ago I woke up and decided to start my day watching this Korean movie by Kim Ki-Duk I rented, called Bin-Jip. It was my first time watching a movie by Kim Ki-Duk and since then unfortunately I haven't been able to see another one of his. But I definitely still want to see more, I've heard amazing things about him. And I really start to love Asian cinema. I really loved how Ki-Duk's style really came through. Even though it was my first film of him, I could immediately notice it. There's something so serene and at the same time mysterious about the images he presents. The two main characters don't say anything at all. Just at the end the woman speaks two sentences. But besides that there is almost no dialogue.

What is it about?

The story's about a young man who breaks
into houses of people who are on holiday. He doesn't steal anything. All he does is use their things and spends some time in their house. He bathes in their bath, he eats in their kitchen, he even sleep in their beds, in their pyjama's. Then one day he breaks into this house, but the woman living there is still at home. Only her husband has left. As he walks around in her house, she just observes him. She doesn't call the police or anything. When she finally appears to him, he leaves without saying anything. He later returns and notices the woman and her husband are having some issues in their relationship. The woman then leaves with the young man and from that moment they break into houses together and fall in love. Eventually the man gets arrested and the woman has to return to her husband. While he is in jail, the man trains himself in becoming invisible so he can dissapear completely. In this way he gets to free himself from jail and the woman and he can be together again without her husband noticing him.

Final Verdict: *****

Thinking about it makes me feel really satisfied. The film is a very beautiful, different and original
love story between two people. Just by looking at each other, without saying anything at all, you can just see how their relationship develops. They just enjoy each others presence. I loved that they didn't spoke a word to each other. They didn't ask any questions. She just went with him. They didn't need words to make clear to each other how they felt. This film is very special and for everyone who loves movies that are different it's a must-see.

No comments: