Sunday 17 June 2007

AzuloScuroCasiNegro

I heard nice things about this film, so I thought let's go and watch this film with the very cool title. I had no idea what the story was about, 'cause I kept myself away from reading anything that had to do with it. So I wasn't sure what to expect. Seeing it today I have to say I was a little bit dissapointed, just because apparently I expected a lot more from it. But either way it was a really nice film. Cool story, sometimes funny but also very sad. It also feels kinda raw. This film isn't so much about shooting sentimental pictures, but really more about the characters and their relationships. It's a coming of age kind of film with very good used music. I especially liked one song that was performed by a friend of one of the characters. I really like moments like that. For me it gave this movie that little extra which it needed at the time.

What is it about?

The story is about Jorge who lives together with his father whom he takes care of. He finished his studies, but can't seem to find a decent job, even though he keeps applying. Meanwhile his brother is in jail where he meets a girl. She's also in jail and wants to have a baby. They fall in love a bit, but not fully. She kind of uses him to get pregnant. When it turns out Jorge's brother can't make babies, he asks Jorge to have sex with the girl, who's name's Paula. At first Jorge is quite hesitant, 'cause he already has a girlfriend. But eventually Jorge decides to do it, putting his relationship with both his girlfriend and his brother at risk. In the meantime Jorge's best friend is having some trouble with his father, who regularly visits a masseuse, but not only for the massages it seems, while also struggling with his sexuality.

Final Verdict: ****

The acting was nice. Quim Gutiérrez who plays Jorge really knows how to carry this film. The girl who played Paula reminded me of Monica Bellucci a bit, which was also very nice. She gave a really nice performance. I have to say that I kind of hoped for a film that was a little bit more romantic. This film was nice, but didn't fully work for me. It has a lot of sweet moments though and quite a few laughs. Maybe the fact that there was a short break in between, which I'm not really used to anymore, also made the experience less cool. I guess this film won't be a favourite of mine, but if it comes on TV one day I will definitely watch it again and give it another try. I think I will come to like it even more then.

No comments: