Thursday 21 June 2007

Walk The Line

I was supposed to see this movie on Tuesday, but I was so tired that I fell asleep short after the first couple of minutes. So today I decided to watch it and not fall asleep. Of course everyone has heard about this movie and so do I. It received a lot of Academy Award nominations and even landed Reese Witherspoon her first Oscar, which I have to say, is very deserved. The acting was top-notch. I loved Joaquin Phoenix's performance. He IS Johnny Cash in this movie. Just like Reese who is tremendous as June Carter. Sure you start wondering what's so great about their performances. So did I. But when you watch this film and compare those two performances with the rest of the cast, you really see the difference. For instance, take Ginnifer Goodwin. Her performance as John's wife was great, but she just didn't own the screen as Reese does. When June comes in the picture it's all about June. Reese takes away all of your attention from everyone else. Even a bit from Joaquin at some moments. I really loved the scene on the bed, just after Johnny took the tractor and drove it into the lake. Reese's eyes, everything. You got a glimpse inside her soul. That's what great acting is. Truly showing the emotions of your character and really showing you feel them yourself. Both Joaquin and Reese's eyes tell so much. And watching Joaquin during the performances of the songs is pure bliss. The way he moves, his gestures and his voice, all are like Johnny Cash.

Final Verdict: ****

Apart from the wonderful acting, the movie itself is very nice too. The story is very touching and compelling. I really liked the musical performances. After a while you really can't get the songs out of your head. I'm not a real fan of this type of music, but these songs sure are addictive. This film has a lot of great scenes which allows Joaquin and Reese to really show their range as an actor. I really liked the last scene where Johnny asks June to marry him. The acting in that scene is so honest. Really incredible. I guess this movie won't be a classic, nor a real favourite, but I definitely enjoyed it. it's a very good, solid movie.

No comments: