Tuesday 3 July 2007

Kill Bill: Vol 2

I watched Kill Bill: Vol. 1 already a while ago, but I still knew pretty clearly what is was about, so when I saw Kill Bill: Vol. 2 last night I didn't have any problems with getting back into the story. I guess not that much happens, beside all the amazing fight scenes. I'm not sure yet which one I like better, but then again I rather think of them as one film. It's not really a sequel. Just like in the first part there are really cool characters and lots of one on one fighting. I already found Daryl Hannah's character the most interesting, apart from Uma Thurman. She's really bad-ass in this film, which fits her quite well. And in this part she is even more cool. Too bad she didn't whistle, but she still had her eye patch. I really loved her fight with Uma. The close-ups and dialogue were great in that scene. Also during the fights with Pai Mei the camera almost seems to be jumping from one place to all of a sudden a close-up of his face. It so reminded me of these old Samurai flicks. It's great how he cites other films and work during his own. It makes his films such a joy to watch. The scenes of Uma in the car, which are in black and white, are also really fun.

What is it about?

As Kill Bill: Vol. 1 already showed, the story is about 'the Bride', who in this volume actually gets a name: Beatrix Kiddo. Thus the whole : 'hey kiddo' reference here isn't just an awesome way to say hello to someone, but it's actually her last name. As we found out in the first part, Beatrix is shot during her wedding, or as we now found out, her wedding rehearsal. She survives and the first thing on her mind when waking up in the hospital is revenge. Little does she know on that moment her baby is still alive. In volume 2 we learn how and when she found out she was pregnant and why they tried to kill her during her wedding rehearsal. Also we find out who Bill is and if she is able to survive from being burried alive and if she gets her baby daughter back.

Final Verdict: *****

Overall I really like the whole feel of the movie. It just oozes coolness. The fight scene with Elle Driver I liked the most, just like the one with Vivica A. Fox's character in Kill Bill: Vol. 1. Both scenes remind me a lot of the tv-series Alias. I'm almost certain Tarantino kind of took that from the season finale of season 1, because he starred in one of the episodes called 'The Box' and obviously is a fan of the show. That scene from Alias was the longest fight between two women ever to be shown in a tv-series. And the two scenes from Kill Bill, kind of look like that scene. Also I was amazed by the cuteness of B.B., Beatrix's daughter. I don't think I ever saw such a cool kid. But this film really is a feast and a celebration of these old Samurai movies. I remember seeing Kill Bill: Vol. 1 for the first time on my pc, but only really liking it the second time when I watched it on television. It's a film I can really appreciate. Just because as a viewer noticing all the references, you really feel taken seriously, like Tarantino is challenging your film knowledge. And it's just cool when you actually recognize stuff.

No comments: