Saturday 12 January 2008

The Best 3 Of December

The last month of the year, another recap. Again a lot of films I had never seen before. I managed to see two more films by a person who is quickly becoming one of my favourite directors, Kim Ki-Duk. Once, the film I had been waiting for for so long, felt like a bit of a dissapointment, which was mostly caused by my expectations which were set way too high. A second view might change my perception and make it a real favourite. I also watched The Fountain again, the first time since I watched it at the cinema and still it's amazing. Well, here are the best films I had never seen before, but (finally) saw this December:

1. Samaria


Once again Kim Ki-Duk shows his distinct style, combining excesses of violence with a tragic story kept silent. His films feel sad and are drenched in coldness featuring characters not showing much of what they feel through words, but connecting through gazes and physical expressions.

2. American Gangster

A nice take on the genre by Ridley Scott. A thrill from start to finish with fine performances by both Washington and Crowe. American Gangster fits perfectly on the list of classics like The Godfather and Goodfellas. It might not get that legendary status, but it sure is a solid film and Washington gives a masterclass in how to become the ultimate gangster.

3. A History Of Violence


Even though ExistenZ is still my favourite, with A History Of Violence David Cronenberg proves he is a great director. It feels pretty slick, but it fits, especially with the characters introduced near the end. It has some flaws, like the high school scenes, which seem flat. But then again, considering it is based on a graphic novel, it does seems to be in line with that style. Mortensen is great as well as Bello.

No comments: