Saturday 3 November 2007

The Best 3 Of September

Having had almost no time to write lately, I'm trying desperately to save this blog, which kind of has become my little baby. Never did I expect to write this much, and thinking about it, I could have written an entire novel if I would have put all my energy into that instead of this. But I wouldn't have missed it for the world, so I'm very glad I started this blog, which is already some long months ago. Already in November I still have to recapture on what I found to be the best films I saw in September. So...here I go.

1. Atonement


Being only his second feature film, Joe Wright's Atonement, is much more than your usual adaptation. Truly capturing the spirit of the book, making great use of mise-en-scène and cinematography, Wright seems to be on his way to become one of the great. Being this big bombastic telling of love, that is edited in a triumphant way, it sucks you in completely taking you on this magical ride presenting the most breathtaking images and doesn't spit you out until the final chapter comes to a close.

2. Reprise

Visually stunning, Joachim Trier's first feature length film is a remarkable achievement. Using beautiful blue colours and wonderful lighting he captures his characters in their most vulnerable ways. The editing simply is amazing, shattering some of the film's scenes into dreamy fragments that are on the edge of reality and fantasy. Reprise is a mesmerizing piece of work that lingers on long after the film ends.

3. Gerry

Gerry by Gus Van Sant opens with this great long take of just two guys in a car driving to the sound of music and tells the story of these two characters finding themselves lost in the middle of nowhere. The choices Van Sant makes to capture this searching for a way out is very daring and unusual, leaving you in wonder, trying to understand what it is what's left once you get lost with just you and this other living soul. Long takes and scenes that seem to never pass, just like real life never seems to pass, Gerry is a smart little film and like nothing else you've seen.

No comments: